Top 10 Worst places to live in #England 2017

We have been compiling the top 10 worst places to live in England for more than a decade. Thousands of readers have voted for their least salubrious dump in this septic isle.  Offending local councillors, dignitaries and meddlesome ratbags plus ruining the trade of slime ball lying estate agents, makes our day as they do their level best to polish a turd of a town.  There were some upsets this year and a new entry rocketing into the charts at number 1, that is sure to cause some outrage in their respective local rags.  So for 2017 we present our definitive Top 10 of the worst god-awful hell holes in England, enjoy!

10. Blackpool

Dropping down from number 4 is the entertainment capital of the North. Once famed for its golden mile, Blackpool now conjures up images of drunken stags and hens, falling over in the street and spewing on themselves, before retiring to a grotty seaside B&B. Here’s what our readers have to say:

You may think it’s a jolly seaside resort with candy floss and donkeys, it’s a scumbucket for the transients who come here to draw benefits in a holiday resort, instead of an inner city.
Go back a few streets from the prom and you will see the deprivation, the ghettos and the scummy pubs that make up the REAL Blackpool.

[social_warfare post_id=”9012″]

• TrulyBlack

I spent my teens in Darlington because we ran out of money and we moved from Hampstead – all I can day is WOW u ppl r so ungrateful! Nah, just kiddin Darlington is horrible. I convince my parents to visit me and they’re in their 50s and they’re like ‘no liccal bwoy. Com bak to Darlington wid ur sissa, Helana’ (I have a sister called Helana). I agree with every sane person here who thinks Darlington needs improving. To hell with mono-culture. The amount of ignorant people I have encountered skyrockets above Burj Khalifah (I think that’s the name of that building in Dubai).
    Here is MY top ten:
    1.) Darlington
    2.) Haughton-Le-Skerne (Shitty part of Darlington)
    3.) Middleton Saint George
    4.) Shildon
    5.) Firth Moor (Another Shitty part of Darlington)
    6.) Hurworth
    7.) Teesside
    8.) Stockton-On-Tees
    9.) Yarm (Posh Snobs – I know what ur thinkin – STERYOTYPICAL – but I have encountered more right-wingers than a Bird – PUNNY! kk then don’t laugh!)
    10.) Skerne Park (Not-so-Shitty part of Darlington)

• TrulyBlack

LOL I just cringe at the wannabe hard men in Darlington. So glad I moved to Ealing

• Kristof Van Hoeven

Had a night out in Grimsby once, think I enjoyed it.. Photo’s of me posing with a fisherman who was so much of an alcoholic he had gunge oozing out of his f*****g eye!

I work in Gloucester which is pretty dire but the most depressing place I’ve been to is Hattersley in Greater Manchester.

• gfvhgd

Great Britain has to be the most atrocious and depressing country to live in. 99% of the UK is an economic deprived wasteland, where everything is mostly concentrated in London, which is also turning into a dump.

I am planning to expatriate and leave this horrendous hellhole after almost 30 years of living here. I thought Scotland was bad, but when I saw parts of England such as the North of England and the Midlands, thats when I realised there is no hope. You only live once, so there is no way I am going to waste my life living here.

You can have your chav infested nightmare country. Asia, here I come!

• coventryfan

that’s not really nice to say to Coventry neil

• Joanna burn

I used to live near bradford and the last time I went there there was some high guy getting arrested for drug use so wouldn’t recomend it

• kelly

There is nothing wrong with tower hamlets there are old and new buildings. The eastend has character and plenty of stories to tell and the house prices for a normal terraced house is well above a million,so i wouldnt consider this one of the worst places to live and the house prices are going up and up.

• Raf Rob

It’s like living in bangladesh

• Phil G

Im sorry but who ever the author is has clearly not been to Tower Hamlets in quite some time. Its had a complete face lift and is a very respectable borough to live in. Well in my area it sure is.

• john lewsam

To label Grimsby as the worst in England is a joke, there are many places in England where there are shootings and stabbings on a nightly basis.
    Sure it is a struggling town but not the worst.

• jackharrybill

Tired old nonsense. I grew up in leafy suburbs in Kent which I suspect will never be on this list. Lived in York for years, again a place I doubt will ever be on this list. Lived in and around Bradford for 30 years. Nothing like as bad as this nonsense would suggest. Suspect most votes are by people of a “right-wing” persuasion.

• jimmy jazz

i’m not really the best person to judge other places, i live in the edge of the charnwood forest, surrounded by Bradgate Park and Beacon Hill, i don’t live in an inner city area, where i live is mainly a white area, although we do have other nationalities speckled around. I actually think that some of the roughest places in our green and pleasant land have some of the best people. the sort of people that give you the time of day, would lend you a fiver if you were struggling, not necessarily judge a person. there are indeed areas i am not particularly fond of. i have spent many years travelling aroung this country and can honestly that one of my favourite places is the North East, there is poverty there, as there is in alot of places, almost everywhere, are the people downtrodden, do they grumble for their plight, or do they simply put their hands in their pockets and get the beers in?? They do and with a smile and a quip!!! let’s not judge our towns and cities, lets make the best of what we have, there are places within Leicester i don’t want to find myself, but on the whole, the good outweighs the bad!!!!!!!

• Mat Yardley

Arse so Grimsby has a photo from an industrialized area owned by Associated British Ports hardly an accurate depiction of a cracking place to live!

• magus007

Missed Slough

• pigsty2000

I live in Tower Hamlets. While parts of it are pretty horrendous, it shouldn’t be in the top 10 because there are also so many fantastic parts, and it makes the more horrendous bits much more liveable. For instance, we have the Tower of London (which is breathtaking to look at). We have St Katherine’s Dock (pretty marina full of yachts and a lovely pub called the Dickens Inn). We have Wapping and all the amazing (and ancient) riverside pubs, such as the Town of Ramsgate (next door to Graham Norton’s house and Dame Helen Mirren’s house, so the area can’t be that bad!), or the Prospect of Whitby, or the Captain Kidd. One pub, the Grapes, is owned and run by Sir Ian McKellen, who’s often behind the bar (so again, hardly a sh!thole). We have Wilton’s Music Hall. We have the river itself, which is magical from every angle. We have Brick Lane and it’s great curryhouses and fun eateries. We have amazing pubs such as the Palm Tree near Mile End, and the George Tavern near Shadwell/Limehouse. We have the Canary Wharf complex, with more great eateries and shops. So while there are some horrible bits of Tower Hamlets, there are some amazing parts that some of the places on the list could only dream of having. And you’re always a short walk away from something really cool. Finally, you’re just a short Uber or nightbus-ride away from the centre of London. Which makes Tower Hamlets’ inclusion in the list simply preposterous.

• John

Do not like Bradford and Luton they are in NO way English or British! Rather a group of goodness knows what’s! I do not mean anything about other ethnic groups or religions but just the fact that they do not represent the English/Bristish way of life. Yes I have been and visited both. Rochdale is a very close third, not a nice place. Plus I would hate to live in any area around London our capital city. Give me Manchester, Newcastle, York, Bournemouth,Dorset, Devon or Cornwall any day!

• Laura

I live in Bradford and it is sh*t it’s the worst place I have ever lived, I lived in Grimsby for about a year and was sooooo much nicer than Bradford, I would quite happily move back there in the blink of an eye

• Mark Parry

One of the most crappy places in England is Oswestry. Shops shut. No decent council or local services.

• John Smith

Right I’m sorry but you’ve missed the biggest pile of s**t to have ever been created, you just have to look at the news of this place from the last year to realise how vile it is, of course I’m talking about ROTHERHAM!

• scene09

Anywhere in the west midlands, and yes that includes the escape-to towns. Combined with the none stop miserable weather, the WM is quite possibly the only place where hopes and dreams go to die, a self perpetuating place of exile for the rest of the nations undesirables to come to colonize, a vicious and never ending circle. An all round hell hole.

• Edward Abbott

Why was Bolton not on this, it is by far the worst.