We have now been compiling our Top 10 worst places to live in England list for the last decade. There is no scientific method to all this, we just go by the volume of comments and local press outrage (because they know it’s true). Think we’ve missed out a town or city? Think we have our Top 10 all wrong? Post your corrections in the comment section for our consideration. If your nomination makes it into the list, we’ll inform the local press and kick up a stink. Offending local councillors, dignitaries and meddlesome ratbags plus ruining the trade of slime ball estate agents, makes our day! So for 2015 we present our definitive Top 10 of the worst god-awful hell holes in England, enjoy.

10. Barking & Dagenham

Some say Barking & Dagenham is the rough diamond of the East End, we like to think of it as a flawed gem. Here’s what our readers have to say:

“Dagenham has all the charm of a fetid pool of primordial muck. If Chav heaven is in Romford, then Dagenham is the gateway between heaven and hell.”

• Michael

I’m not a “mover” as such but I’ve lived in Tadley (somewhere wedged between Reading and Basingstoke, all three are shitholes), Derby and Castle Bromwich in Birmingham and I must say, most if not all of these places on the list are better than Birmingham and Tadley but not Derby. Derby imo is very underrated.
    My worst 10 places I’ve visited would be:
    1. Castle Bromwich
    2. Salford
    3. Basingstoke
    4. All of London excluding Belgravia, Chelsea etc.
    5. Luton
    6. Tadley, Hampshire
    7. Nottingham
    8. Glasgow
    9. Torbay, Devon
    10. Blackburn

• busreplacement

I think Kent in general is hopeless; even the ‘best’ bits are ravaged by a plague of the morbidly obese and terminally stupid. As soon as you step off the filthy trains onto the litter strewn stations, you can sense the stench of abandonment in the air. Culture, art and beauty have no chance of life or survival once tainted by the Kentish curse; the brightest are struck by a cloak of a mind debilitating poison. Architecture and history, preserved in such plots as Maidstone and Rochester, treasured by outsiders are to the denizens mere obstacles on the way to ASDA and Primark, the true Mecca of the built environment.
    Because it is so badly served by trains (there is a reason the line has never electrified) it doesn’t have the through breeze of normality circulating and freshening it up. You’re there, stuck be it Herne Bay, Ramsgate, Margate, Canterbury and, the subject town, Gravesend.
    Indeed.
    It chills the blood. The worst county, let alone town, must be Kent.

• amy

I am honestly in shock i can not believe that rochdale has not made it on to this list. Especially considering all the bad publicity it has had in recent years.

• albiontyke

The Geography is wrong on the map opposite, seemingly the East Midlands has stolen part of the Yorkshire and Humberside region.

• albiontyke

Being a middle aged Sales Rep who has travelled to most parts of the country, I can’t agree that Bradford and Hull are anyway near as bad as, Sunderland, Leicester or Wolverhampton who are not even on the list. Also many borough’s in London are missing here, Lewisham & Haringey are prime examples. Both Bradford and Hull are possibly far more diverse than most places, having some horrendous areas of deprivation, but conversely, unlike many cities, large areas are extremely prosperous and very attractive and some of the satellite towns near Bradford rank amongst some of the most affluent in Britain.