iLiveHere
Password

Leigh Park

This article has: 138 Comments

Leigh Park, Hampshire
Once the largest council estate in Europe, Leigh Park has a long tradition of chavness and could well be the origin of all Chavs apon this Earth. (were there any evidence that anyone’s moved out since 1959)

From the youngest creole-wearing babies collecting fag ends outside the chippie to the wrinkled hags in leggings pushing Netto trolleys home, Chav is and always has been at the heart of Leigh park.
On the outskirts of Ports-muff this top Chavtown offers the discerning Kev everything they might wish for.

For the teen-townie who hasn’t yet got their own council flat, theres plenty of chip shops, offies and newagents to hang round outside, though favourite spots include Point 7 and Park Parade, the towns main shopping precinct. This is the ideal place for shouting at old ladies, asking grown ups to buy you White Lightening and meeting and mating with other Parkies. Here you’ll find the main shops every chav needs to visit on the way home from the dole queue. For some everyday shoplifting and the latest Now album theres Woolworths and there’s New Look, Peacocks and Bewise for the less-brand conscious scum (the rest get their rip off Tommy Hilfiger from the market or a bloke down the Wheatsheaf) Plus theres Iceland, Kwiksave and Netto a short shopping-trolley-push home. For better shoplifting and Argos Jewellery Pompey is only a short bus ride away, where parkies can mix with Chavs from as far as Waterlooville, Paulsgrove and Gosport by the fountain outside the Cascades Centre.

For those over 15s not hanging around outside Alldays with their younger siblings & mothers of their children may I recommend excellent drinking holes such as the aforementioned Wheatsheaf, the Swallow, the Greyhound, and the Warren (bricked up windows- quality!) Though it is not unusual to stroll along Middle Park Way with a can of Stella. At Weekends the chavs get in their Ford Escorts and go down town again (Portsmouth) and usually end the night drinking in Guildhall walk with a dance at Flares or Route 66 and a shag round the back of Wetherspoons.

As every Parkie has at least one child by their 20th birthday Leigh Park is a very family orientated community. Everyone is related in some way and little Bianca will always have a half-sister somewhere on the estate to play with. This may be a barrier to outsider Chavs wishing to get a council exchange here, but enough sportswear should assure any potential parker-partners their distinct gene pool is safe from dilution.

Also Recommended in the Hampshire…
Lots of parts of Southampton, though most true chavs visit Shirley high street at least once a day from the surrounding Shirley, Millbrook and Lordshill.
Lots of parts of Portsmouth- everyone saw the pride of Pompey, Paulsgrove on the news with their paedophile riots, but what about Somerstown, Buckland and Stamshaw?
These are relative pockets of Chavscum in relation to Leigh Park and their proximity is evidence of how the menace could have spread out from Leigh Park like man out of africa.

iLiveHere Full Crime Statistics compiled from Police data

• Ringo

Leigh Park doesnt sound that different to many of the large post-war council estates in the uk. I feel sorry for the non-chav, respectable people who live there, because there must be one or two. Their accents are dead funny though if you live/work in London like i do. Places like this need to exist. They act as an everyday reminder of just how bad life can be if you take your eye of the ball.
    Up the Irons ‘><'

• amanda

I must admit coming from a lovely place in Nothumberland
    I’d never even heard of Leigh park ,but I came down South
    and met my boy friend ,we married and got a house in Leigh Park ,going into hospital to have my children I thought it strange that women who lived in Leigh Park alway
    said they came from Havant ashamed to admit were they lived.
    I’ve been married over 40 years and have had 5 children
    all to my husband sadly 2 of my boys passed away . my husband has worked all of his life we have never claimed
    benefits, none of my kids have ever been in trouble ,
    they all worked hard at school and went to uni and have
    very good jobs and there own homes . my husband and I bought our house . but the most important thing is
    my family often say what fantastic childhoods they all
    had ,we never had much money but I and a group of friends would all take a pic nic and maybe a foot ball
    over Leigh park gardens we would have so much fun the day would be over before we knew it,we,d go black beery in
    and later on in the year we’d pick chest nuts ,I made life long friends and so did my kids ,I loved seeing there friends growing up and making something of their lives.
    they all ended up working and none of them ended up with a litter of kids to different dads ,the street I live in
    the only people that don’t work are retired , I love
    Leigh Park folk ,a wise old woman once told me no matter where you go you always find your own level so
    maybe the people who knock Leigh Park are no better
    than they should be , folk here do not live in each others pockets but if you need help they are there for you and they never forget a good turn ,many years ago as a young mum living a long way away from family
    support I was so grateful for the older local folk
    who always had a word of encouragement for me ,now as an old woman myself I am always there if I can help.
    I think there are some smashing young people here ,
    they are clean and have good fashion sense ,they are
    polite , I was going to a friend one evening and I
    walked past some young lads I wondered if they’d give me t trouble but the just called you look nice mrs ,it made me smile . I am far from well off but if I won the Loto
    I would’nt want to move unless I took the these lovely
    folk with me . people who run this place down dont know
    What they are talking about ,it does’nt bother me ,I love i it here ,so glad that the folk that take so much time to pull Leigh Park to bits live somewhere eles . we don’t wat you here .

• Andy

I lived in Leigh park from for 30 years and have never had any problems with the people and most of my family still live there today . I went to school at Bancroft and oak park and had good time at both. I now own a multi million pound company and believe my time in Leigh park help prepare me for the cut throat business world . Anyone reading this and from Leigh park should take heart as it does not matter were you come from you can make it and be successful if you deserve it enough , and the people that talk badly about Leigh park are either wasters and like to blame others for the own failures in life or have been brought up with a silver spoon in there mouth and no nothing of honest working class people.

Andy R.

• Anonymous

Leigh Park isn’t the best place to live in the world, of course. I’ve found that there aren’t many opportunities and there isn’t an awful lot to do in the local area which is why many teens will end up wasting their youth by wandering the streets with their mates, or actually venturing out to places such as Portsmouth, that have more to offer. The council needs to do more work and invest more time into making Leigh Park a better place to live.

• A Leigh parkie

First of all leigh park is not that bad. I’m 12 FROM leigh park and have lived here all my life and I have made lots of close friends new and old we r a family. We show that by meeting up at places and hanging around. I don’t even know why people think we are soo bad by shoplifting ect when they don’t even know us. We r SO NOT CHAVS so why don’t you leave us alone and yet out of our lifestyle of doing things?

• Islander

Thing is, Leigh Park isn’t actually THAT bad, only stuck up snobs with no clue think that. I’m not from Leigh Park, or Havant, or the mainland for that matter. I live on the Isle of Wight, originating from Jersey, some people thought of me as a posh and spoilt child as I grew up but to be honest – I’d much rather be living in Leigh Park, feel much more at home there with the close community, than on the Island! My other half is an ex-parkie, he’s 20 and guess what… NO KIDS! I know a lot of parkies that are good people and aren’t a part of your silly little stereotype that you’re trying to put on them. Leigh Park may have a stigma attached to it because of people such as you, but it’s the only place that I have ever felt at home and comfortable to walk down the street on my own – this is coming from someone with major anxiety issues, so that must say something!

• Leigh Park Migrant

I lived in Leigh park from 1959 to 1979 (age 2 to 20). I hated it, the best times I ever had as a child were always outside of the estate, Hayling Island, Langstone Harbour, Southsea. When I started drinking it was never in the Leigh Park pubs always preferring to walk in to Havant to drink in the likes of The Robin Hood or The Old House At Home.

I left the area in 1979 when I joined the Armed Forces, I now live in Lincolnshire and hate having to go back to visit my mother. During previous visits I’ve had my car vandalized twice. It’s nothing special, just a Renault Espace, why I should be targeted I do not understand but to me it just sums up the mentality of the average resident of Leigh Park.

My mother moved in when the estate was first built so has lived there most of her adult life. She sees the place through rose tinted glasses and can not understand why I don’t like coming back to it.

I don’t really understand what is meant by the term “Chav”, it wasn’t in our vocabulary when I was young but if the average young resident of Leigh Park is deemed to be a Chav then it gives me a very good idea as to what a Chav is.

I am just so glad I moved away, got to see and live in other areas of Britain and further afield and did not have to bring my family up in such an environment.

Sorry Leigh Park but I don’t miss you.

• Bum Smasher

I completely agree with you, i lived in Leigh Park during the 80′s and it was a sh*t hole, i cant stand to even think of the place let alone visit. The people are just thick scum that would rob you blind and thump you for looking in their general direction. Leigh Park needs a nuclear blast to clear it of all the filth.

Why do terrorists never blow sh*t up in places like this, its always somewhere nice isnt it?

• Leigh Park Migrant

I don’t really understand what is meant by the term “Chav”, it wasn’t in our vocabulary why I was young but if the average young resident of Leigh Park is deemed to be a Chav then it gives me a very good idea as to what a Chav is.

I am just so glad I moved away, got to see and live in other areas of Britain and the further afield and did not have to bring my family up in such an environment.

Sorry Leigh Park but I don’t miss you.

• Courts

At the end of the day Leigh park isn’t that bad I’ve grown up her for 15 years and we don’t all hang out side the shop I go to cadets and want to make something of my self so like try say don’t judge a book by it cover so don’t judge a place because a few people are like that most of us are different and we all help each other out there is a real sence of community in Leigh park and everywhere has it bad part so don’t just pick on Leigh park and portsmouth thanks .

• http://chavtown leighpark shotgun

growing up in leigh park has been the best…best time ever in wheatsheaf and greyhound. been with kids dad for 13 years so your describing only a few people. who ever headed this article is stuck in the dark ages of leigh park eg,theres no wheatshef no greyhound and no warren pub anymore and thats been for quite a few years……and may i just add that the dolphin pub in havant was the bollox….theres nothing wrong with leighpark or the warren it has one of the best schools in the area with fantastic offsted reports……leigh park is a fantastic place to grow up and i have very fond memories of grownig up in this estate and wouldn’t have it any other way for myself and my children

• Trash

U can only judge a place by the turds that pass threw it !!!