iLiveHere
Username Remember Me?
Password

Margate

This article has: 16 Comments

Margate has its charms (beautiful weather and a nice beach), but it’s also Chav Central. Margate chav haunts include McDonald’s, KFC and Yates’ Wine Lodge, which is the preferred watering hole to get pissed in before moving on to one of the local clubs. Sheldons at the top of Margate high street is also another haunt, as is the Bull’s Head (the latter is favoured by an older clientele though. The Bull’s Head also boasts a parrot, whose IQ is considerably higher than some of the customers’.). During the summer (especially bank holidays), local chavs mingle with their south east London counterparts on the sea front, especially in the amusement arcades: walk past these and experience the unnerving sight of 1001 stuffed Garfields leering out at you from glass cabinets – as if being stared at by chavs weren’t enough. Local chavs dress in usual chav fashion, with logo-heavy clothes from the catalogue (pronounced “ca – a – log”), supplemented by el cheapo gear from Primark on Margate high street.

My own road is Margate life in microcosm. Nice post-Regency houses – most of them well looked after and inhabited by normal people, but a few of them with scaffolding and/or broken windows and containing chavs and pikeys, whose multitudinous children (average age 7 or thereabouts) kick footballs into everyone’s gardens or hurtle up and down the street on their bicycles, yelling endearments to each other such as “You f**king knob ‘ead, you’re a right c**t, you are!”. Early one evening I had to go to the corner shop. As I went past one of the pikey houses, the mother (greasy hair, trakkie bottoms, fag dangling from one corner of her mouth) opened the door and shouted to her little girls playing in the street outside: “get inside right NOW, you little slags!!!!” Depressingly, you just *know* those girls are going to turn into their mum eventually, at the point when they first realise they’re pregnant (usually at about the age of 15 or so). Speaking of chav girls, there must be an unofficial competition going on amongst Margate’s female chav population, to see who can fit the most number of gold hoop earrings in each ear. Why do they think that earring overkill is stylish? Why??

iLiveHere Full Crime Statistics compiled from Police data

• Johnny W

I went to Margate in the 70′s – my mum grew up nearby in Birchington in WWII. Back then it was great – typical fun seaside holiday place – loads going on. Dreamland was still open and Margate Caves and the Shell Grotto were well worth a visit. Sun, sand, sea, fish’n'chips. Such a shame, reading the comments here – it has so much to offer. I doubt people were any “posher” back then, but most people knew how to behave themselves and have a good time without acting like a bunch of criminals.

Sadly, seaside towns seem to be blighted with being run down nowadays. Take Hastings: smashing old town, caves, cool events from time to time like Jack-in-the-Green (Mayday). But any other time – oh god…

• Sonny buoy

Hi folks I’m on holiday in margate at the moment and I’m afraid to report it is a total chavathon. Never ever witnessed so many bad tattoos so much bad language and worrying behaviour than in margate.
    Every other guy on the beach has a can and a fag giving it some attitude either shouting or complaining about something. I’m from west yorkshire so im used to no frills saturday night behaviour but this is something else a reckless desperately bored bad attitude pervades at night. A self styled refuge for agressive daytime boozer losers the majority seem to have given up or just lost the plot it’s rough as guts.
    I can’t imagine what this place is like in winter awash with fozen vomit and raw red flesh.
    Nothing wrong with a tower block but building a socking great one right on the sea front is madness it ruins the seaside feeling straight away. The charm of the old town is its saving grace but it’s a diamond in a sewerage works.

• mat.alex

Never been to Margate it does SOUND a bit chavvy. So you guys who moved out where did you go that is so not chavvy – everywhere is chavvy now, it’s like a being in a real life zombie movie!!! Why do people want to live like that it’s just awful.

• Dan Burke

You could always f**k off to where you came from?

• Mark Gibson

I had the great misfortune of being born and raised there! Never the less i grew to be a stirling young man! Skateboarding truly saved me and i got the hell out of dodge! I pop down to see family and old friends every once in a while but never stay too long!!!

• Randoggy

I think the uk is all going snobbery the reason for half the problems is because of attitudes above the welfare to work system is to blame as it allows for all of this to continue if I have another child I don’t get a pay rise yet the unemployed get one and who could blame them when it is easy to move to the seaside and not only enjoy all this money but holiday at the same time in big Tudor houses they are smart we need capping on benefits and work for benefits now.

• GrammerNazi

Reading this comment really took my breath away.

• http://anon.com anon

Margate back in its hayday was glorious. pl remember that its all too easy to put down another seatown that has fallen on hardtimes. There is a rare beauty in margate that still shines the beach, the gd weather when it comes and the original margeateons. x

• Frog

I was on holiday in Canterbury and went to visit Margate… I wonder if this place has been touch by some Chernobyl clouds, really!
    The beach is bad, dirty, the sea looks disgusting, the smell is aweful, and the people look so so weird!!! The worst English place untils this week-end was Luton, now it is Margate!!

• Michael Straker

I live in Basildon which seems to be on par with comments written by other people. It saddens me to say but many of the towns in this country are being swallowed up by people who are of a different culture and class. I am tempted to move to Margate or somewhere on Thanet and reclaim the streets as it were. Good respectful has to start from somewhere maybe or am I just being foolhardy here. I want to make a difference and every journey start with a single step etc. Whats your comments on this?? Michael

• cavebat

Its a great place to get stabbed,if you get the local paper every week theres always a couple of good old fashioned stabbings.Theres so many infact that you have to go on a special list to get stabbed now.Ive been waiting for ages and I think its disgusting that immigrants to this country should jump the cue and get stabbed before me.I was born and bread in Margate and I havnt been stabbed at all,or bottled for that matter.And these bloody immigrants come here push to the front of the cue and get stabbed willy nilly,Ive even heard of some of them getting stabbed twice in one week,I think its bloody disgusting.

• Salome

Looooooooooool

• http://EdwardGoodchild Chelsey Dryer

Good blog.Added it to my bookmark…Margate « Chavtowns

• kentishmale

Very, Very well written. Well done Sir.

• Whiteman

I have visited Margate twice due to a mate living there, poor sod, what a sh*thole, they have so many chavs that speak so many different languages, chavism is truly international!

• lips

I was actually born in the lovely place & some of my family still live there (unfortunate for them) my parents saw sense & removed themselves from the hole they call Margate.
    Even when i return to visit family, it actually makes me cringe…. what would i have ended up like?……..

Margate

This article has: 3 Comments

Margate has its charms (beautiful weather and a nice beach), but it’s also Chav Central. Margate chav haunts include McDonald’s, KFC and Yates’ Wine Lodge, which is the preferred watering hole to get pissed in before moving on to one of the local clubs. During the summer (especially bank holidays), local chavs mingle with their south east London counterparts on the sea front, especially in the amusement arcades (walk past these and experience the unnerving sight of 1001 stuffed Garfields leering out at you from glass cabinets – as if being stared at by chavs weren’t enough). Local chavs dress in usual chav fashion, with logo-heavy clothes from the catalogue (pronounced “ca – a – log”), supplemented by el cheapo gear from Primark on Margate high street. Actually, I’m not knocking Primark – you get some real bargains there occasionally… But I digress. Oh, and don’t forget the hoop earrings. There must be an unofficial competition going on amongst Margate’s female chav population, to see who can fit the most number of gold hoop earrings in each ear.

iLiveHere Full Crime Statistics compiled from Police data

• peach

I Know of a complete prick that lives in margate his name is N*** and i think he should go f**k himself

• bellchend

shut yo mouth

• bellchend

Margate may be a sh*thole but some of us unlucky bastards have to live there.