Top 10 Worst places to live in #England 2017

9. Oldham

First of our new entries for 2017 is Oldham. The most deprived town in England according to the ONS, where the streets have been described as “graffiti covered, fly-tipped shells of what they once were”. Here are some lovely quotes from our readers about this down-at-heel Lancashire town:

I think Oldham was best summed up by a friend of mine who upon a visit to this fair town one day remarked that the people of Oldham look as though the government has been performing nuclear testing in the area.
The parenting skills of the local Oldham populace are unrivalled. It is common to see disobedient kids being quickly put into place by their mothers, who employ such tactics as threatening to knock out their kids.

• Karl Bonham

the worst places??? Not even close this places are beautiful and secure compared to the city of Valparaiso located in Chile… Valparaiso is sinonimous of decadence

• Dave Jackson

I would of thought Chatham in Medway Kent would be number 1 or at least in top 5

• ProudGravesend

I have lived in many towns and counties in my life and I now live in Gravesend. To state that it is the 7th worst place to live in the UK is an absolute joke! It is an historic town with beautiful landmarks, it is a stone throw away from beautiful woodland areas and has direct access to London and further into Kent. The average cost of a house in Gravesend is £250,000! I don’t know what defines a ‘chav’ other then comedy programmes but I havent ever met anyone in the area who has caused any problems or issues for me. Most people are friendly and there is a sense of community – if people feel like there isn’t one then I feel saddened by this and it’s a sad state of affairs if people think that Gravesend is a terrible place to live. I can’t quite work out how this list was compiled but what. I can work out is that it is NOT the feeling of everyone who lives in Gravesend and I find it totally disrespectful and offensive to list any town on a list like this – in an offensive and joking manner. I for one am proud to call Gravesend my home and if anyone reading this shoddy piece of literature wants to visit the town I think you would be pleasantly surprised.