Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in Statistics

If you are thinking of moving to Little Hulton or just want to know a what the area is like, the statistics on this page should give you a good introduction. They cover a range of socio-economic factors so you can compare Little Hulton to figures for Salford and nationally. These statistics can tell you if Little Hulton is an economically deprived area and how hard it might be to get a job.

Little Hulton Immigration Statistics

These figures for Country of Birth for the residents of Little Hulton are from the UK Census of 2011.

CountrySalfordEngland
United Kingdom88.3%86.2%
Rebublic of Ireland1.1%0.7%
Other EU Countries3.8%3.7%
Outside the EU6.9%9.4%

Little Hulton General Health Statistics

The respondents of the 2011 Census were asked to rate their health. These are the results for Little Hulton. The percentage of residents in Little Hulton rating their health as 'very good' is less than the national average. Also the percentage of residents in Little Hulton rating their health as 'very bad' is more than the national average, suggesting that the health of the residents of Little Hulton is generally worse than in the average person in England.

HealthSalfordEngland
Very Good46.03%47.17%
Good32.35%34.22%
Fair14.04%13.12%
Bad5.87%4.25%
Very Bad1.70%1.25%

Little Hulton Social Grade & Occcupation Statistics

Social grade is a classification based on occupation and it enables a household and all its members to be classified according to the job of the main income earner. Little Hulton has 20% less Higher and Intermediate managerial, administrative or professional households than the national average.

GradeSalfordEngland
AB16.79%22.96%
C132.67%30.92%
C218.99%20.64%
DE31.54%25.49%

Little Hulton Property Ownership & Rental Statistics

Little Hulton has a lower rate of home ownership (via a mortgage or owned outright) than the national average, which suggests that Little Hulton is an economically deprived area.Since all home ownership is lower than the national average and all rented accommodation levels are higher than the national average, this also suggests an area of economic deprivation

TenureSalfordEngland
Private Rented17.6%15.4%
Other1.2%1.4%
Rent Free1.6%1.3%

Little Hulton Benefits & Unemployment Statistics

These figures on the claiming of benefits in Little Hulton come from the Department for Work & Pensions and are dated . They can often be a good indicator of the prosperity of the town and possible indicator of how hard it would be to get employment in the area. The rate of unemployment in Little Hulton is both higher than the average for and higher than the national average, suggesting that finding a job in this area maybe hard. The rate of claiming any benefit (which includes in work benefits) is more than 25% higher in Little Hulton than the national average, suggesting that many people maybe under employed or on a low salary.

BenefitSalfordEngland
Jobseekers Allowance (only)4.9%3.3%
Incapacity Benefits (IB or ESA)3.9%2.4%
Any Benefit (includes in work benefits)19.7%13.5%

Little Hulton Education Statistics

These statistics are for the highest level education obtained by the residents of Little Hulton and are from the UK Census of 2011. Little Hulton has a high level of residents with either no qualifications or qualifications equal to 1 or more GCSE at grade D or below, than the national average.

QualificationSalfordEngland
Level 312.6%12.4%
Level 422.3%27.4%
Other5.3%5.7%

Little Hulton Age Distribution Statistics

The population of Little Hulton as a whole, is younger than the national average. The population of Little Hulton is also older than the average, making Little Hulton a older persons location.

AgeSalfordEngland
Age 75 to 844.8%5.5%
Age 85 and over1.9%2.3%
Mean Age37.439.3
Median Age3539

Sources: Office for National Statistics & Department for Work & Pensions.

Do you live in Little Hulton? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

• Andrew Hodgkins

I moved in to Little Hulton 15 years ago. I still live in Little Hulton and that has been my choice. I realise this area is far from perfect but in reality it’s probably no worse than most other suburban areas with a high population density. This area continues to suffer from a reputation it earned in the 1970s and1980s. I can’t comment on the area as it was then as I didn’t live here. However I have moved around this country a lot in my life time (South East, Midlands and the North) so when I say this area isn’t the derelict hell hole that other comments seem to suggest I base that comment on personal experience. I’ve read the other comments; my reply to Debra is simple morons exist everywhere and you are likely to come across more of them through your life no matter where you live. I’m sorry your complaints to the local of authority did not produce the desired results but that is likely to be more of a reflection on the local authority than Little Hulton. I found the comments by Gecko rather strange but they are typical of the views held, particularly by the older generation who remember the reputation of the area in the 1970s and 1980s. I should point out that the figures for unemployment may be high relative to the national average but it’s still only in the region of 5%, which does not really support the “everyone on benefits” comment. I am a doctor, I have two masters degrees and a PhD from the university of Manchester. I live in Little Hulton because I choose to. It would be really nice if people would give us a chance rather than judging us using old and inaccurate views to reinforce their prejudices.

• Debra

I lived in little hulton from 2003 to 2009. I have to add that the area does have a lot of nice people with good character living there. However, whilst I was there I had to put up with a neighbor from hell. He came into my house with a hammer, pulled me in the street and raised his voice at me, frequently tried to break into my home, stole property from my garden and even stole my mail i.e a giro as my partner had been made redundant.
    I did report all of these incidents to the police but it seemed to fall on deaf ears, even when I had to report that my 10 year old son had been shot in the head with an air rifle by the same person.
    The only thing that saved my sanity was my change in good luck when I was accepted by Newcastle University in 2009. I was able to stop any further harm from being done to my family and managed to get my children into schools that were very well run.
    I wish I could say the same for Little Hulton but I have to wonder if at the time the local authority were protecting the family that lived next door to me on Eastwood Avenue, as I lived in private accommodation and they lived in a council house. After hearing some of the comments made by councilors in defense of the little Hulton area, I can’t help but wonder what their hidden agenda is and what makes them think that they can protect these people that cause harm to others. The only reasoning that I can think of is that it benefits the local council to keep these people in business.

• Gecko

Disgrace, drugs, no morals, no respect, all related, they don’t work, all on benefits, say that they took are jobs, asked them who are they and they have no clue. Not smart enough to know that voting might help them in the long run. Sex drugs and drink is the only things of value.
    Dirty kids not looked after, no prospects because most people can’t provide the children with anything, without holding their hand out to the government.
    Not realising or caring that this means the few working people are paying for them and their kids indirectly.
    Not to mention because they are from 3 generations of benefit claimants, they can’t give their own children the tools they need to get on in modern day society.
    Complete right off area.
    If it was a communist country or national party country areas of people like this would simply vanish over night with no question or care to where the drain on society went.