Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in North West, United Kingdom

Marmite. Either love it or hate it. And like all things, Skelmersdale has its good and bad points. I have read some horrible reviews on this town however I feel that some have been a little harsh and judgemental and just to fit in with the trend, my judgements are that those judges and complaining people are most likely stuck up and born with a silver spoon in there mouths. In reality, all places do have there ups and downs, rough and posh areas and if you are sat smiling at your computer screen saying ‘I don’t’, this is due to that sharp object leaking out of your behind. Excuse my French.  I, speaking from the regrettable experience of living in Skelmersdale, do have to right to judge the area I live in. I feel as though I do have a very balanced opinion of this town, that due to the amount of negativity, I do not have to point out the ‘nitty gritty’ points therefore I am going to point out some positive views to brighten up the mood.

Firstly, Skelmersdale you may say has an annoying habit of repeating roundabouts and admittedly I feel your pain (sarcasm), Traffic lights Vs Roundabouts… the constant stoppage or the continuous routes? Point made.

Secondly, green. Although we as the human race have a tendency of smashing violently on any form of nature we have left, Skelmersdale is relatively green which is something most other places cannot say they obtain is.

Poor people? Thick people? People with no aims other than to get pregnant and live off of  your taxes? Agreeably, yes, there may be alot of people who follow this trend here however this generalisation of people is ridiculous and if someone so absurd agrees with these accusations I will gladly send my personal CV in the post!

Leading onto my next argument,  I am an 18 year old girl who has grown up in this town and I do have ambitions which I am currently fulfilling and yes, a dream of mine is to move away to a better place however I am proud of where I come from and I may have come from a ‘poorer’ background yet i have been raised up correctly with respect and manners from a place full of down to earth human beings whom most will drop anything to help a stranger, a small and tight knit community who all help and support each other.

In conclusion, my main point is for people to not judge any community until you have lived the good and the bad, additionally I hope to have opened some eyes, lifted some eyebrows and just to fit in with my stereotype… ‘Pulled some sticks out of people’s arses!

Thanks 🙂

• jjpwfelli

A nice article. I know Skem, and some of the friendliest people I’ve met have come from there. It has it’s problems, but it does have a real sense of community, and real, genuine people.

I agree with the comment about Mawdesley. Mawdesley is like the polar opposite of Skem. It’s snobby, Tory, rich and upper class, more like Surrey or a snobby village in the Cotswolds than Lancashire (think horsey types, wellies, Range Rovers, snobby Tory supporters etc…) Despite the wealth the people are very unfriendly and cold and there is no community. Just shows you money doesn’t buy you everything.

• mawdesleytractor

A visit to Skem is light relief from the crushing boredom, isolation and sensory deprivation of a punishing existence in the tiny, lifeless, obscure, snob dormitory enclave/rural prison of Mawdesley, Lancashire.

Mawdesley is the “posh” upper middle class rural version of Skem. Here me out:

– Skem was designed for the car. Everything, and I mean everything in Mawdesley needs the use of a car.

– Skem and Mawdesley are disconnected from their surroundings and other Lancashire communities. Although Skem is technically in Lancashire, socially and culturally it’s really a part of Liverpool. Similarly although Mawdesley is in Lancashire, most people are from Surrey and have Home Counties accents. Socially and culturally most of the snobs in Mawdesley are closer to Surrey and the Home counties than surrounding areas of Lancashire.

– Lack of amenities/transport. People say Skem lacks amenities and public transport – Mawdesley lacks ALL amenities and public transport.

– People say Skem has no character, or sense of place – the same with Mawdesley. Mawdesley has no real centre, no history – it’s just a grim collection of 1960’s retirement bungalows and snob mansions strung out on potholed back roads on some flat, featureless, stinking cabbage fields in the most inbred, obscure and isolated corner of Lancashire.

To be honest some parts of Skem aren’t that bad. The actual type of lifestyle (everything based on driving to other towns) that you have to have in Skem, you also have to have in Mawdesley. Only in Skem you are only paying a fraction of the price. The surrounding countryside in Skem (Ashurst Beacon/Parbold Hill) is nicer than the flat desolate bog land that surrounds Mawdesley.

• Bah

A very nice comment, thank you. I’m tired of the negative, arrogant comments that demonize just about everybody who lives in poorer communities with problems. There are people who are gems everywhere, even in the worst of places. Just because someone grew up in a housing estate and wears a hoodie doesn’t make them bad. It’s individual’s actions that should be judged, not a whole community of people whom most of those commenting, don’t even know personally.
    I was an immigrant brought up in a housing estate in the UK. It was a rough area, there were all sorts, and yes, there were a lot of messed up, violent people too, but there were also good people who lived there often because they could not afford to leave. Some were unemployed because there were no local jobs and they couldn’t afford to leave the area or pay rent elsewhere.

• Asanka G

Good review. Just because someone lives in a nice area, doesn’t make them a good person and vice versa. Have you read “Chavs: the demonization of the working class”?