Living in Peterborough
Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in Cambridgeshire, East Anglia

So where do I start? There is so much to say about this hellhole. I lived there for a couple of years and my god, the day I left was one of the happiest ever. I got out asap.

If your looking for a lovely atmosphere, culture, lots to do, nice people, opportunity and basically a fun good life, then this place is not for you. I have never ever met people like these. Your average Peterborian is something special. F*ck they are weird. They have spent their entire lives living in Peterborough and to them there is nothing else outside of it, it’s great. It is the be all and end all.

They are without doubt some of the most aggressive, miserable, backwards, negative people I have ever come across. We were made to feel about as welcome as a turd in a swimming pool when we moved there. I like to think we are nice people who do make an effort with others, but there was no way with this lot. If you’re not born and bred in Peterborough, expect to be looked at as a weird outsider.

They have very much a “who the f*ck do they think they are” attitude and they do not like successful open minded people, they like it all to be a bit s**t…….”mustn’t grumble” etc. The atmosphere in Peterborough is draining. You feel totally isolated from the rest of the world and life in general, as though everything else is going on and you’re not part of it as you’re stuck in this dump. There is no hope. It’s a dead end existence.

There is nothing to do unless you like shopping in s**t stores and drinking in awful pubs which you would never put a foot in. Also if you like crap live music then you’re on a winner here. If you want to see some art or watch a play etc, forget it. Oh and be careful not to make eye contact with anyone especially your average Peterborough male as you can expect a load of abuse and even confrontation from these neanderthals. They see anyone slightly different or positive as a threat to their shite existence. Your average Peterborough man really is something. Thick, and full of s**t. “Alright boy”

We moved into a wonderful street full of many colourful nasty characters and within 2 months our car had £500.00 worth of damage done to it and we were pulling our hair out, working out how to move asp. Because we were not from this metropolis of opportunity, we were treated like s**t by people. They tend to just stare at you in a very aggressive way like you just spat at them. Oh and for gods sake do not park in their parking space, even though there are none designated as that will end in a knock on the door and again a load of abuse.

They are so petty it’s ridiculous and they concern themselves with minor bollox that the rest of us would not, as we are too busy living. Take a trip into the town centre and its like walking onto the set of the Walking dead. Every manner of inbred mutant adorns the streets. I have never seen so many mobility scooters and the amount of obesity on display is staggering. Try holding a door open for someone and marvel at the response from the array of illiterate zombies on display, you might get a grunt if your lucky.

The benefit office is the busiest spot in town, everyone claiming there little slice of the tax payers money because why should they work when they can piss it all away in one of the many s**t hole pubs of which there are many.

Avoid the dual carriageways in Peterborough, there are loads of them and once you get on there you may be stuck on them for days. You might even end up in Dogsthorpe. Who the f**k named these places.

The local school was an eye opener again, a clique of nasty locals who have not one polite word to say to you.

Then there’s the accent. WTF are they on about. It’s a cross between a farmer who has been lobotomised and someone who has no muscles connecting their lower jaw to the their skull. “Alright me duck”? What?

The council seems to spend its money on crap. Like the water fountains in the town square. Actually there not so much water fountains as a load of hosepipes buried in the ground the go off now and again. “A water display to equal any in Europe” the mayor said. He has obviously never been to Europe.

The housing estates first built in the 70’s are everywhere. Real dumps with unsavoury underpasses at every turn, full of JD sports wearing people who would rather do nothing than a hard days work but blame the immigrants for taking their jobs. Lazy f*ckers.

The place is also overrun by Eastern European migrants to the point where whole parts of the town have been taken over completely and turned into ghettos again adding a wonderful vibe to this playground of opportunity.

I read a quote someone posted a while back about Peterborough which said “The tendrils of fen depression” that pretty much encapsulates this place.
Peterborough is the worst place I have ever lived and in hindsight, I would never of moved there, it was a depressing stressful period of our life and not one I would wish to repeat.

Everyday was a nightmare and its due mainly to the people who live there. They are horrible, nasty, small minded, self righteous, deluded, inbred mutants and I hate them all. The place is about 20 years behind the rest of the UK. They are negative about life, they don’t get it at all, there’s no joy, good manners or respect for others. A bunch of retards.

I am sure there are worst places than Peterborough out there but this place is special……Do not live there. At points I did think, maybe it’s me but it’s not. I now live in a new town where the people are nice, everyone is busy living and getting on in a positive way, minding there own business and after seeing the difference, it illustrates even more just what an awful weird town that is.

F*ck Peterborough and all it stands for. S******e.

• Swordstrike

I was recently in peterborough myself. It’s alright by and large, people lack situational awareness but are often appologetic if they bump into you (if you have no way of avoiding them yourself). That is until the local chavs and chavettes come road a blind corner on their stolen BMXes & hit you, fall off their bike & expect you to appologise for it (yes this happened to me). I offered to help said person up and get told to “f*ck off”. Like everywhere else, there are areas and people to avoid & areas which are usually fine.

One street might have rampant knife crime & be full of little oiks but turn the corner & you’ll find roads with middle class profressionals getting on with life, trying to improve their little corner of the world.

Peterborough is a step up from places like Wisbech and Great Yarmouth, but even those places have their “ok” spots. By and large, it’s fine. 1/4 of the city is a Pakistani Enclave interspersed with about 4-5 Mosques, but avoiding said area is fairly easy.

Peterborough, the Malmo of the UK basically.

• Mark Walker

I’m not from peterborough, but have also lived there, I got burgled two days after my wedding, but guess what that happens no matter where your from. I did move away, but not because of the invalid points you made, but because I am doing my own thing. This city is lovely, and has exactly the same shops in its shopping centre as most shopping complexes do, it’s just not on a grand scale. Maybe you should have done some research on the areas that clearly s**t glitter. Oh wait a minute… you did and suddenly realised you couldn’t have afforded to live there so you had to live where you did, to make yourselves appear superior. Look love the reason noone liked you is for the same reason no one here likes you, your mouth is to big and your nose is in everyone else’s business. Get your head out the sand and live your life instead of being a curtain twitcher. Glad you have found a nice secluded wheely bin to live, hope the rats there are welcoming enough for you.

• Sophie Purvis

Peterborough: Blimey!! What depressing little ball bag took time out of their amazing life to comment on this City? Firstly, there’s loads outside of Peterborough, when I’ve finished travelling to these destinations, I’m more then happy to return to my home here in Peterborough! “We are negative & miserable” …. You should of stayed, you clearly fit in so well. “Made to feel like a turd in a swimming pool” … With an attitude like that, I can actually clearly see why! The only thing In Peterborough I personally find draining, is your bullshit exaggerated post, but that’s your opinion and you are entitled as I am! “Nothing to do?” 2 bowling alleys, ice rink, indoor trampolines, 2 theatres, luxury cinema, various gyms with classes, ferry meadows, parks, great location to venture further afield… what more did you actually want on your doorstep? “Obesity all over town” if you opened your wool covered eyes, you’ll notice that obesity is everywhere not just this City! “Alright me duck accent” Lived here 28 years, not heard that phrase once?! Definitely sure that’s a lot more North! “Unsavoury underpasses” What you expecting a mini Tate modern whilst you cross under the roads safely? I’m really happy you’ve finally found a new place to live ” Where people mind their own business” …. Now perhaps you could try doing the same!! 💁🏼

• Anonny moose

Unfortunately I was brought up in this sh*t hole, but I got the f*ck out as soon as I got a chance. Best decision of my life was leaving. Though I do not believe that every person from Peterborough exists exactly the way you portray, it is true for the majority.

• American_dave

As an outsider who has lived in Peterborough for 3 years, you make a few valid points, and then spend the rest of your review showing your ignorance.

Yes, Peterborough is a blue collar town. There is no university here. There are plenty of eastern European and Pakistani immigrants. And there are neighborhoods that are dominated by them. You don’t have to live in them.

I’m not even English, but I have been welcomed here with open arms. Cathedral square is actually quite nice and has improved immensely in the time I’ve lived here. New restaurants, bars, etc. And not shitty dive bars. One bar in particular I would rate as a top 10 bar for beer in the entire UK.

The parks here are great too. You can literally walk or ride a bicycle almost anywhere in Peterborough without needing to go on a road. Nene Park is beautiful and expansive. Lakes, trees, fields, cafés, etc. Really nothing to be desired.

It’s also a great Central location for the train. You can go anywhere from here, assuming you can afford the ridiculous UK train prices.

I could go on and on. I could mention the expansion of the mall and the imax theatre going in, and the food court etc. But I’ll stop here as I’m at my “shitty bar that you wouldn’t even want to go to” which happens to be one of the 10 bars across the world that Cloudwater breweries chose to release their limited edition birthday double IPA.

But you wouldn’t know that because it’s adult swim here so we don’t allow turds in the pool.

• Charlie Wetherall

Never lived in Peterborough but I certainly wouldn’t want you living in my town! Negativity breeds negativity and reading your article is more negative and aggressive than anything I’ve experienced in Peterborough. Im sure everyone is glad you left mate… good luck making friends in the next “Sh*thole” you decide to live in… you’re gunna need it!

• …Peterborough…

Well just by reading this sh*t proves me that ur one of them negative, critical, racist who has nothing better to do than diss something that someone else calls home not everyone see it this way because not everyone goes out to spot the wrongs. It’s wrong for u to say all this sh*t cuz someone out there Peterborough is all they have and they are happy with it !!!!! Scum bag !!!!