Posted by & filed under East Midlands, Leicestershire, United Kingdom.

Behind the beautiful looking town which costs a fortune to live, as a sought after area lurks junkies, chav’s and gypo’s. You cannot walk through this town especially the square without being harrassed by a junkie for 20p, the Chav’s are worse though trying to prove to ther other chav friends their ‘ARDENESS by beating up children and the elderly while under the influence of special brew, the worse ones though are the ones driving around in their modified chavalier generally harrassing anyone that isn’t wearing burberry. The council have a clever idea of housing them in random areas so you can’t the f**kwits, and their fake limps with trackie bottoms tucked into their socks. w**kers! So my suggestion is always drive through harborough without stopping and admire chav central, it’s the circus of the unemployed and unemployable. (avoid tuesday’s as I believe this to be income support day, so it can be a bit like an ant infestation around threshers and kwick save)

Behind the beautiful looking town which costs a fortune to live, as a sought after area lurks junkies, chav’s and gypo’s. You cannot walk through this town especially the square without being harrassed by a junkie for 20p, the Chav’s are worse though trying to prove to ther other chav friends their ‘ARDENESS by beating up children and the elderly while under the influence of special brew, the worse ones though are the ones driving around in their modified chavalier generally harrassing anyone that isn’t wearing burberry. The council have a clever idea of housing them in random areas so you can’t escape the f**kwits, and their fake limps with trackie bottoms tucked into their socks. w**kers! So my suggestion is always drive through harborough without stopping and admire chav central, it’s the circus of the unemployed and unemployable. (avoid tuesday’s as I believe this to be income support day, so it can be a bit like an ant infestation around threshers and kwick save)

• A.M.G.

I went to school in Harborough 20 years ago and, whilst such negative
    comments were perhaps an accurate portrayal of the town in 1994, they
    are certainly incorrect and unwarranted today. Market Harborough has
    undergone two decades of improvements and regeneration, and is now known
    as an affluent market town where any local person would be proud to own
    a home. We moved out of the area several years ago (2005) to get our
    first foot on the housing ladder. Ever since we left we have been trying
    to get back, and it took us until 2012 to achieve our aim. We are now
    very happy Harborians once more, and quite happily extoll the virtues of
    living in such a lovely little town. It has a canal and a river, lots
    of walks and parks (with fantastic playgrounds), a superb selection of
    independent shops and quirky boutiques (Church Street is a must-see for
    any visitor), a decent-sized Waitrose, train station, great schools
    (Meadowdale is apparently the best) and everywhere is within walking
    distance. Yes of course it has its less salubrious areas, as with any
    other town of a similar size, but unfortunately there is no escaping
    certain, ahem, types of people…. and if you leave them alone, they
    will leave you alone. Seems fair to me!

• John

Harborough is a great place to live. Those on here moaning clearly have only lived in Harborough as throughout my life everywhere I have lived does not even come close to how nice Harborough is.

Comments such as the above highlighting what Gypos wear (well done 10 out of ten for observation) they probably think what average Jo wears is hilarious …..so what!

I have to admit reading this page has only highlighted that the majority of people who have been negative are toffee nosed twits.

I agree that Harborough has matured a heck of a lot over the last 5 years and I will soon be moving from Bedfordshire. In Bedfordshire a £690 a month property to rent (you get a 2 bed dump) can get you a luxury apartment in Harborough so its a no brainer for me.

Live and let live and if you don’t like it do something about it…….don’t just moan on websites – pathetic.

• chavtastic

As for those moaning about the chavs and pikeys why don’t you move out if it is soooo bad? go and live Leicester, because we all no that’s such a beautiful city… NOT! Every place has its good and bad people, Harborough is NOT THAT BAD. Yes there are a few d*ck heads but who cares. If everyone was a toffie middle class do-gooder life would be BORING!!

• Jim

I am frm Harborough and it certainly is a chav town; people like to imagine that its full of lovely, educated middle class people. it isn’t. the majority of people here are bored, and working class and just want something to do, but the council decided that having a mcdonalds in the town centre would attract young people and that certainly isn’t what the town needs! so instead we got yet more retirement flats. it is a fairly safe area and if you are wealthy enough to get out every day you have off work then move here, but if youre poor then for goodness sake don’t bother. there’s nothing for people under pension age and if you try to board a bus you’ll be shouted at. oh and you might think its a nice place to bring kids up, but your kids wont thank you. they’ll run away to the city as quickly as possible. the town is full of lecherous old men, quite a few teenage thugs, and lots of fat orange gypsies

• Lauren

I’ve lived in Harborough since the late 90s, I attended the local secondary school also. To put it bluntly… yes, there are chavs. Yes there are travelers who WILL swear at you and insult you (not all will but some do) but a vast majority of these so called “chavs” are in fact wannabe chavs. Kids from middle class families wanting to look “hard” and “cool”. I do intend however to move from Harborough soon due to the fact that many are narrow minded and have nothing better to do than to kick up a fuss over non significant things, there are few opportunities in Harborough therefore it’s the city life for me chavs and all.

• Dave

Interesting website…if all was to be believed you would not live anywhere in the UK. I notice that most of the original articles are written by anonymous people…I think that says it all really.

I may be moving to Northants in the future..I’ll judge for myself..not by reading the drivel on this website.

• Iloveharborough!

Market harborough is not a Chav town!!
    I am raising a family here, and could not be happier! The town is clean, there is no graffiti in the park, I love it!
    On one occasion I heard teenage children swearing in the town, I asked them not to speak I that manner in front of my little boy, and they were very embarrassed, I got a sincere apology!
    This is a beautiful and wonderful place to raise children, the people are lovely, I wouldn’t move if you paid me! That is why the house prices are fairy high for the region, because it’s lovely!
    Thank you people of Market harborough for making my family so welcome, being so helpful and friendly, this town is a credit to Leicestershire!

• Ed

To be fair to the author this was written back in 2005. And i can certainly say that i had been coming to Harborough since then and it was not a particularly nice place. However, i have watched it gentrify over the past few years and in 2010 i thought it had evolved enough for me to settle down and also raise a family.
      And a testament to that is Zizzi and Pizza Express opening restaurants. Where Zizzi has no other branch in Leicestershire (apart from Leicester city) P.Express only has a 2 branches in the shires.
      Phase eight and East have recently opened up shops in the town.
      Travelodge have also opened up a hotel in the town centre. And bear in mind this is ‘recession’ time. I’ll be back to reply durng the ‘boom’ times!

• ‘wanker’ as named in the artical

I am highly offended by this artical (if you can call it that) i live in Market Harborough and know it well. It is not a chav town. The way you have described the town is wrong and should be changed as it is highly offencive. There is just as mant drug users as anywhere else in the UK. Also the little joke about income support is Wrong people have reasons to be on income support and should not be talked about like dirt on your shoe.
    Also i would like to add the people who you say beat people up etc dont excist they only hang around in the town center because stuck up people like you havent built anywhere decent for them to go, and most of them are decent people like everyone else.

Finally as for ‘jurrasic park’ what planet do you live on?! i have never in my life heard such sh*t!!

DONT JUDGE PEOPLE BY THE WAY THEY CHOOSE TO DRESS UNLESS YOU HAVE SPENT TIME GETTING TO KNOW THEM FIRST!!!!

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@

• fromleics

I used to live in Market Harborough and gypsies from the legal gypsy site `jurrasic park` as its known by locals would often be seen walking in the town centre area with their huge gold earings and chains, very very high bright yellow,green or hot pink stilletos and hipster jeans and designer t-shirts.

What used to make me laugh is i moved there to escape the lovely (not) Leicester but found the classof people not better than Braunstone, New Parks and `scabby fleas` (beaumont leys)