Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

Luton has been let down by everyone from the train companies to the council. I’ll act as a tourist guide starting with the station which is decrepid at best description even though it’s located along one of the most expensive commuter routes the station operator can’t be asked to fix the leaking roof instead putting traffic cones around Englands own inpression on Niagra bloody falls. Then there’s the brand new lift which would be great if it didn’t bring you to the upper lever where there are yet more stairs to go down to get to your platform.

Moving on to the Galaxy centre a massive spectacle with barely anyone or anything in it unless you count the massive wetherspoons out of which I’ve had Danny Wellbeck shouted at me while walking home from work in the middle of the day no doubt my tax money payed for that drunken slur though I’ve had much worse shouted at me in Luton.

By this time in the tour you’d have noticed the population black, white, Asian it doesn’t matter everyone looks like they’re trying to escape or given up hope on life itself those on drugs look happier than most as they get to frequently escape the reality of this dismall town every time they get high. Then there’s the Polish I have no problem with them being Polish or being here to be honest they look healthier than many of the locals it’s more their lack of the most basic manners that absolutely baffles me. I don’t even have a problem with the Polish racism because they’re just as rude to anyone who’s not Polish and probably some of their own at that. Luckily they’re not sponging off of my tax money as they have manged to take over Luton airport which was one of the last beacons of employment for this town.

Then there’s the mall looks good on the outside needs work on the inside, the most basic of restarants. Primark and Wilkinsons are among the biggest shops there, teenage mums with nowhere to go take up half the walking space. The post office is large with an electronic ticketing system to help manage all the benefit claimants in the most efficient way possible not that you can blame them considering the council are as visible as the leader of the taliban and seem to be frozen in a time warp doing nothing to help create employment or innovation in the town.

Notice this entire tour will be on foot due to the crap, barely existent public transport network that can barely get you two miles from the city centre and all this from a town that wanted city status. Suprisingly there are nice decent people in Luton however even they have in some ways been infected by the Luton virus as a decent, educated working young black man who has moved to this pit for university instead of being treated like the decent human being that I am, I’m instead stereotyped by the half decent folk and often approached by the chav girls who for some odd reason think I’m remotely interested in creating multiracial offspring with them to help them gain a council flat in Marsh Farm where we’ll live happily ever after in chavdom a reality I’d rather die than see true.

To be fair there is one beacon of hope in the town which is the university, though they let just about anyone in to gain money from fees there’s at the least tutors spreading worthwhile knowledge and hopefully some of the more educated youth will be able to help enlighten the next generation of Lutonians.

• Pingback: The Beauty Hub Luton | fine - makeupbrushset()

• MadCritic

Luton is the toilet of Bedfordshire and also the ‘Chav’ Capital in that County. Why? Because it has been run by the Labour Party Council since 1997 and there’s still social & economic deprivation. The People of Luton are mindless zombies loyal to the Labour (Socialist) Party.

• Mr Ison

A cess pit created by the British Government so as to torture Bedfordshire.

• Solitary_One

I lived in Luton from the age of 2 until the age of 25. My parents moved there in 86 because the housing was cheap and it was easy to get to London where they worked. I can pretty much confirm everything the OP said about it. It’s a terrible town, not so much because of the town, but because of the people, and it really suffers from serious social problems. The multicultural project has crashed and burned in Luton with a real ghettoisation of the town. Bury park for example, regardless of what people say, is not like being in England anymore. This isn’t to say I don’t like Asians. On the contrary, I have many friends in Bury Park and I worked there for few years while I was in College. Actually, I found Bury Park was one of the safest areas to be, once you are ‘known’ around the area you’re accepted. I’d rather walk through Bury Park than town at night. The Asian community actually tends to have more social spirit, but there does also appear to be shadow economy in the area which appears to be based on drugs. There are some nice areas. Around Bushmead and Old Bedford road for example. One thing I did enjoy was the Bedfordshire countryside, which is very nice along with the small villages. The problem I found with Luton was that it was so close to London it couldn’t be much more than a commuter hub, but at the same time it was too far away to be involved in the London scene of music and culture and so on. The airport was handy, as were the rail and motorway links but that’s about all. I spent most of my life trying to get away from it, and luckily I did. For most people however, they seem to grow roots and never leave, then it turns into groundhog day. I’ve been back a few times over the last 4 or 5 years to see friends but it’s like they were frozen in time. Same people, same places, sitting in the same bars. I think in the end, the white underclass are pretty much redundant and have been since the town’s industrial base shut down. Really, the people have nothing to do, and nowhere to do. The Asians have all the capitol and will eventually buy the town, this is what the EDL and so on refuse to acknowledge. That it’s simply business. I’d never live there again. I was lucky enough to be educated enough to leave, but sadly, the majority of people will be stuck there forever.

• Khayyam1048

Luton is an unmitigated disaster – a dire warning of what happens when every mistaken policy since 1945 is inflicted on a town.

The university is no bright spot – universities are now just academically devalued degree-factories, run as profit-making businesses by the Vice Chancellors, and churning out politically-correct conformists.

“A Lutonian” concedes that Luton is multicultural, only immediately to deny that there is any problem whatsoever with this. Read my lips, multiculturalism (together with the mass immigration it has been created to justify and defend) IS the single biggest of a number of closely-related policy disasters of the last few decades, and the real elephant in the room is Islam. Many of the older generation of Muslims, of course, were fairly relaxed about it (although perhaps less so than we might hope, if “honour” killings, FGM and other charming practices are anything to go by), but their sons – and the males are what drive this, with the women merely used as brood mares – are being radicalised in Saudi-funded Wahhabist madrassas.

Compare now with 30 years ago, and extrapolate present trends 30 years into the future. It ain’t pretty!

• ash

I dont know where they get all this crap from. Possibly reading sun or daily mail or sit or listen to their dad/grandad who has poisoned his mind about Islam.
      get some evidence and go get facts before pointing fingers.
      stop quarelling amidst yourself and focus on improving yourself and your family and make sure one dies with Imaan or else your teenage daughter and sister would be out as well shagging anything that moves and drinking and vomitting pn streets what some of these called “havin a good time” until its too late .

• I once went to Luton for a business meeting which had to be cancelled. Having a few hours to spare I called in at what appeared to be the local tourist information office to see what was worth visiting. The woman said “well there isn’t anything actually.” Nuff said.

• Full time mum of two, wife, student and full time employee!

I am unfortunate enough to live in Luton while I study, I’m 23 and have two children by the same dad who I am also married to! Yes the majority of youth that live here would rather rob your shopping than help you carry it there are a few decent people and not every lutonian should be put into the ‘chav’ bracket! If people hate it that much do what myself and my husband are doing educate your self so you can get a decent job and get out! I don’t always dress up and I often go out in jogging bottoms and trainers not because I think I’m a ‘gangster’ or think its cool I do it because I am comfortable in that kind of atire and when you spend your life working studying and being a mother comfort it’s imperative! So before u judge a mother with two children and a tracksuit remeber my words we are not all put spending our benifits in primark the money we ate spending may have actually been earned just like mine!

• A Lutonian

Oh, go ahead, stereotype an entire nation, by all means. That’s perfectly okay. I know a hell of a lot of Polish people and can honestly say some of them are the nicest people I’ve ever met. Luton has its disadvantages, but its heavily multi-cultural society is not one of them. Perhaps you’ve had some bad experiences with the Polish. Who knows, maybe they overheard you saying you wished they would “eff off”.
    I completely agree with the writer of this article about the failings of the Council. They continue to waste more and more money and it’s completely ruining this town. Local transport as well is a shambles. I’ve always thought Luton has plenty of potential but needs the Council to sort out its priorities. I barely need to mention the 400,000 loss they made on Love Luton. It makes me feel just a bit sick. The Council know absolutely nothing about running festivals, and should have taken the back seat, allowing more experienced people to run it.
    On a personal level, the most depressing thing about Luton is the arts. This *may* be to do with the cultural-demographic shift, as Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs rarely contribute due to cultural/religious factors. But there is virtually no arty scene in Luton. The Council needs to invest in the arts, donate money to the people working on rebuilding the old ABC cinema, and stop pretending they know what to do!

• Simon Curry

Bang on about Polish in Luton. Truly horrible people-rude and ignorant…and that is just the women!! Wish they would eff off. The Asians are actually ok.