Written by Anonymous Visitor and posted in North East, United Kingdom, Yorkshire

Why is Hull so hated? A few reasons:

I know that many of my friends now seek new, exciting and unvisited places. Where you can view wonders and witness alien-like wildlife roaming the very streets of the places you visit. I scoff at their idiocy for do they not realise they themselves live in such a place themselves? For where is more un-visited (except perhaps for a dreary day of shopping and watery coffee) Hull. Where else can you see humans acting in such a deprived manner, and view original and authentic 50’s post-war concrete architecture?

So here I am aged 16, living in Hull and in 2 years’ time I will face my greatest opportunity, and my willingness to escape Hull only makes me try harder. Thanks, by the way, Mum, for being able to choose anywhere after 3 years in Indonesia to come back to England and choose Hull. One letter away from hell is what everyone not from this disjointed, randomly placed city say about it. They cannot understand the truth of it really until they’ve lived in deep Hull itself. And here is my list as to why that really is:

1. The people:
Unfortunately this is all you need to say. There are many perfectly ordinary pleasant people living here, but most of them want to live elsewhere and their ordinary pleasant actions are outdone by the actions of other exceptionally nefarious and incorrigible types. Of which Hull has far more than its fair share, to be honest. Perhaps there is also something charming about the way they talk funny and don’t know about things like cleanliness and politeness too. I visited Brugge recently (since I have been I now consider myself an expert on all things Belgian and can therefore use the Belgian name for Bruges). I admit I am shocked when I go to other cities and notice a lack of graffiti, louts (chavs) hanging around in small yet menacing groups, and that you can walk across a field without being punched in the face unknowingly.

I am confused about the morals of the Hull population too. I confess they do have a righteous heart in many respects, they support charities, have very tight knit families that stand up for each other (particularly in pub brawls) and despise money laundering banks, but this is probably more because the banks have lots of money, whereas as the average person from hull has, well, none. But then there are some confusing aspects which I don’t understand. Like the fact that if you remotely think of offending a soldier, or think that spending millions and millions in a country that we don’t really have much to do with and sending thousands of soldiers over there is wrong, then you are outcast. ‘Hull supports their troops’ and remembrance day has an exceptionally strong turnout. But then again, a very large amount of people are exceptionally racist, and want the government to stop sending any money overseas to help other countries in peaceful, dare I say it, more constructive ways.

2. The geographical stuff:
I guess the real problem with the city is, where it is, off on a limb- described by many people I’ve met as ‘Somewhere on the east coast, isn’t it? And there’s that big bridge? Is it near Newcastle?’ This not only makes me worry about Britain’s geography skills, it has made me realise that, we really are in the middle of nowhere. Why would a city build up here? The land is empty for miles around because there is just nothing going for it. You don’t go through Hull to go anywhere, not that you’d want too, and since the fishing industry has died off, there isn’t really anything for anyone to do, if you think about it.

Surely, people say, there are some good points about Hull. I suppose there are a couple, land is so cheap, because no one wants to live here, that you can buy a large house for the same amount of money as a 1 bed flat in London, same with the cost of living. But, you’ll pay out extra in smashed car windows and graffiti. And I would pay triple if I could to get out of Hull and away from the atmosphere of it. As explained above.

This has posed a problem for me, and for anyone living here, in that, a full day trip is required to go anywhere worthwhile. It is faster to get to Edinburgh from London, than from London to Hull. So I and the few adolescents here that don’t spend their time obsessing, worryingly, over the likes of ‘1D’ and Justin Bieber’ (remember the recent worldwide twitter trend #Cut4Bieber?) suffer. We must spend our lives watching forlornly as our more fortunate friends in far flung, exotic and un-reachable cities such as Manchester or perhaps Glasgow go to countless Gigs by our favourite bands. It’s enough to make you hate anyone. Everyone.

3. The ‘education’:
It’s like gods little experiment, if he put the worst of everything into one pot and stirred it up a bit; add some political unrest, base racism and traditional sexism, what comes out? It certainly isn’t a good education system. I moved (luckily) before I had to experience Hull’s secondary education, but I did use to be in the catchment area for a school called Endeavour. The whole idea is positive, the name ‘Endeavour’ endeavour to do better, to improve your life and beat the system. It didn’t work; £40 million of the council’s money was ruined and after coming bottom of the school league table for most of the 11 years it has been around, and it is therefore being closed.

One of the inhabitants downfalls is that logic too is not exactly a strong point; Humberside police will confess that drugs and smoking are an exceptionally large problem with youth in Hull. I once questioned a girl as to why she took M-Kat at all, she didn’t quite understand the context that I asked the question in, and replied; ‘because it is cheaper than coke.’ I smiled  politely and moved the conversation on, this girl who was quite nice to sit next to, evidently lacked some obvious knowledge.

4. Beautiful Architecture
I admit, that Hull can’t be blamed for looking so, so damn bad. This is because, it is as ever, the forgotten city, (it’s probably best if things stay this way) and was desecrated by the lightning strikes of the Luftwaffe in world war 2. This actually destroyed some pretty amazing buildings, the remnants of which can be seen in the town centre.

However, it has always been a port, so the remaining old town is a dreary boring mass of dark brick, efficient, cheap and effective, nothing else. These buildings are dwarfed by giant, monstrous concrete multi storey shops and flats; the worst offender here is the Hospital however. It looks down upon it citizens, coughing and sputtering with one of the highest rates of lung cancer in Britain, a giant rectangular block of crumbling grey rock that exudes an air of defeat. There is also the shopping centre Princes Quay, imagine a giant egotistical, overrated corrugated garden shed floating precariously on muddy polluted waters.

All of these buildings are strangled by massed armies of council houses, which stop any expansion of the current town centre. People peer out from small, dark windows and wonder if their next house might have double glazing, or wallpaper. Any new buildings, endeavour for instance, look like oversized IKEA children’s furniture, bright and colourful, but bought with the knowledge that it is temporary and will be completely wrecked within 8 months. Perhaps in the distant future these buildings, concrete flats and corrugated iron shopping centres will become fashionable like the industrial age factories of yester-year. But I doubt it.

5. The wonderful cuisine:
Some people try to romanticise this beautiful facet of Hull. They talk of a certain ‘je ne sais quois’ about the substances some of them eat; I cannot really bring myself to call it food. I personally recommend a day trip to Hull for all families, perhaps, instead of a day trip to the zoo. Because I know many parents take their children to far flung places such as Ghana and India or Uganda to see poverty and make them feel slightly guilty and also grateful to their parents. I implore you; it would be much cheaper to take them to Hull instead. After you have tasted the ‘delights of Bob Carvers’, which undoubtedly serves ‘THE best food in Hull’, (well actually, that’s not too hard) you will be happy to never again see anything with a gram of trans-fat, etc. in it. Ever.

I now hope that you can see not only why Hull is such a bad place to live, but I also hope that you can pity my first world problems, be empathetic. But most of all, never ever come visiting.

By: Hull

• Unmentionable

Hull is a bad place for certain. I was lucky to get away from that hell hole. There are too many scum bags within Hull that believe “LIFE” owes them a living. Too many dysfunctional families and rife 3rd generation welfare scroungers are making Hull the toilet is has become. I say let the city flood during the next high tide and let all the turds float off into the Humber.

• Ryder Frankle

I agree whole hardheartedly with this article. I have been all over the world and seen such incredible levels of variation in many different societies and Hull is the only place where I didn’t feel like they should be considered people. Inbreeding and drunkenness have been turned into an art form and every attempt to bring the city into the modern world is sneered away by the mouth breathing inhabitants.

• jack saunders

If you want to read about the true Hull read a book called Hessle Road Scallywags. It is absolutely Hull and the humour is just gut busting. It’s about four mischievous children growing up in an underclass ghetto in Post war Britain. It is about how they have fun and how they survive. Wonderful book.

• Rick

I lived in East Yorkshire, so not actually within the boundaries of this city for over 20 years. The real name of this city is Kingston – not ‘Hull’ – ‘Hull’ is the name of the river that splits the city in two. The name ‘Hull’ is not an attractive looking or sounding word, but why does even the local council call the place ‘Hull’, when it’s name (given by the King) is Kingston? It took me approximately 15 minutes to reach the city centre by car. 15 minutes makes a huge difference.
    The suburbs of ‘Hull’ (okay I give up!) are as well appointed and facilitated as anywhere in the UK. West Ella, Kirk Ella, Swanland, Hessle etc are all very decent places to live and as a result I never really spent much time in the city centre. Even for shopping. But when I did venture into ‘deep Hull’ it is true to say that it is not as attractive as it could be. In terms of the locals and the buildings, help is needed!
    Hull has suffered because of the loss of it’s major industry (fishing) and also the Nazi bombing campaigns. London was the only city to see more damage in the UK during WWII. While London saw massive rebuilding and government investment, Hull still has car parks (or flattened rubble sites) within the city centre that have never been rebuilt since they were leveled during the war. While other cities lost industries such as Steel Making (Sheffield) Coal Mining (many parts of the Midlands and North) they received government help. Hull lost the fishing industry and that was that.
    The reason being that Hull is the land that time forgot. Perhaps the location is the problem. It is after all not really ‘anywhere’. I never had a very high opinion of the place when I lived in East Yorks. But having lived in London, Manchester, Birmingham and visited most other places in the UK during my life, I have to say you will find the same problems of deprivation in all the major cities. The difference being that most places have other things going for them thanks to investment and their locations that Hull does not. If you have not lived in or near Hull then your opinion of it is likely to be what you have read – ‘worst city in the UK’. If you do know Hull and ALSO have seen (or lived in) other cities such as Liverpool, London, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Sheffield or Manchester then you’ll know that Hull’s problems are the same as any other large city.
    In summary, Kingston Upon Hull – it has it’s problems, but is no different or worse than any other large city in the UK.
    While you cannot change the location (this would really help) government investment could really make a HUGE difference.
    Oh, and yes, the Humber Bridge is really impressive. But unlike most other similar projects of it’s type in the UK it is still being paid for with tolls. The government won’t write off the debt and remove the tolls….. hence it is a bit of a White Elephant.
    Typical of the ‘justice’ Hull has received over the years.

• Rod Garr

Agree with everything said in the article. Lived here three years; not by choice. Am leaving this year and can’t wait to get out of the place. Most miserable, moaning people I have ever met anywhere!

• Alan Robinson

I was dragged up in Hull. I left as soon as I could. I’ve been away for over 40 years now and wild ‘osses couldn’t drag me back to that place.

I could put up with the drabness, but there is a callous culture I haven’t encountered anywhere else.

Oh, and let me add that the women are generally more repulsive than the blokes.

• Kit

I am from Bradford and I have lived in Hull for 4 1/2 years. They say the grass is always greener and it’s true. Go to Bradford for 3 months then write this article again. I love Hull and I’ll never leave now 🙂 Hull gets terrible publicity but who can blame the media when this is the attitude of its inhabitants?

• Anne

I lived in Hull for about 3 months a couple of years ago. Would like to disagree about the people and the food.

I am a foreigner and yes I’m back in my home country in Southeast Asia. In all honesty, I liked Hull. I didn’t think the people were racist. I lived in the US and trust me, racism is much worse there. You could feel it in the air. As for people in Hull, I thought they were really friendly and really maybe you should smile more and realise people smile back.

The cost of living is great and you could afford a lot more open space as compared to London and certain parts of California.

There’s really nothing much to do there but I loved the local pub that I used to frequent. I thought the food was alright, even the Asian food was pretty decent. 🙂

• Jono

I moved to Hull two months ago for work and people couldn’t be so far off the mark with the place. I was born and grew up in a really nice part of the country & I was nervous about the move to Hull after hearing all the bad press, but since I’ve gone I’ve loved it.

The centre is lovely. It has a historic old town with loads of windy streets with great bars and pubs. A beautiful marina with large yachts on show, with lovely restaurants along it. Great shopping centres, but that doesn’t take away from bustling old school traders which are dying a death in most places.

Travel slightly out the city to Princes Avenue & Newland Avenue there are quality restaurant after quality restaurant, with boutiques and lovely bars in between.

The area around Queen Victoria Square is beautiful with ornate buildings full of heritage. The town centre is alive unlike many places in the country where you see boarded up streets.

It has a great sporting culture, with a Premier League football team & two Super League rugby teams.

The people are immensely friendly and the beautiful East Yorkshire countryside is only ever a 10 minute drive away.

I imagine most people who give the place s**t haven’t actually been for themselves. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure 10 years ago the place wasn’t particularly nice, but it has come a long way in the past 10 years & now it’s a great place to be.

With it gaining the City of Culture title for 2017 and signing major business deals in the renewables sector, the place is up and coming & some people are too ignorant to see that.

I’ve travelled right across the country with work and there are far far worse places. In fact Hull has become one of my favourite locations in the country & that’s coming from someone who like many of you expected it to be s**t.

• YorkshireFirst

I believed all this about Hull growing up – the grass would be greener when I left.

I then lived in the Midlands, the North West, London and Hampshire and have experience of, but not limited to, the following:

Kettering, Luton, London, Widnes, Warrington, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Coventry, York, Margate, Basingstoke, Liverpool and Southport.

I now realise the only thing wrong with Hull is the negative attitude of its people. Its architecture is beautiful, the marina, waterfront, development, humour, education, cost of living, geography, Yorkshire countryside, ports, airport, people… and the huge potential are things to be proud of.

I plan to move back… and this time be PROUD of Hull.

• FG

Hull is the worst city I have been to in the world but to be fair, I haven’t been to Detroit, Damascus or Fukushima yet.

Hull has some really nice people and some very unpleasant people living in it.

The problem is percentages, the unpleasant percentage is far greater than the nice, as the author points out.
    Also any city which divides itself based upon sports allegiance, be it football vs. rugby, or rugby vs. rugby etc to such an extend that the “rivalry” initiates fighting breaking out, between the mindless factions, I would suggest is not somewhere you really want to live.

I hate the language in the city, the vocabulary is limited. For example walk through the town centre for 10 minutes and count how many times you hear ‘f*ckin’ f*ck, etc. (See posts below for examples)

Finally if someone insults my hometown (which there a numerous valid reasons why you could/should) what I do is explain the good points.
    So perhaps rather than name calling, insulting etc why not utilise reason and defend your city based on facts and evidence.
    Insulting / name calling a 16 year old for his observations merely makes you look insular and ignorant.

• hull student

I have to agree wholeheartedly. I have never in my life been to a place as full of inbred racist “lads”. It is a university town completely lacking in every aspect of student life except places to get sh*tfaced. They constantly claim all dislike of them is due to arrogance on the part of others in spite of most of them never having left their cesspool of a city.

• Happy in Hull

This is just one opinion, a judgemental unfair one at that! Hull is a place in which I have felt safe all my life and if I could go back to the start of my education I would in a heartbeat! Yes, we have our ‘chavvy’ areas and our towns history may not be one as interesting as some of the bigger towns but Hull has some beautiful new areas and from my experience amazing people! We have a brilliant nightlife and a lot of gigs are held here, with minor reports of incidents might I add! It has a well known and respected university which is thriving and my education has been nothing like the experience above. I attended malet lambert which has just received a big refurbishment and is looking modern and has such a wonderful presence about it and after my time at that school I have no regrets and am proud to say I attended this school. I am also proud to say I live in Hull and when I leave for university I will be more than happy to return!

If people come to Hull looking for bad things, that’s exactly what they will find! Don’t judge Hull as the top ‘chav’ town, come see it for yourself and then call it what you will!

• Tom

I’m off soon thank god. Its a dump – That’s All

• Almighty

Hahahahaha …..
    This is hilarious, you lot. If you don’t want to read insults about your own city then don’t visit sites like CHAVTOWNS.co.uk! The clue’s in the title!

• John

Hull is the biggest sh*t hole in the UK and all the people that live there, without exception are absolute knuckle draggers.